Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 2

We stayed one more night in the hospital last night so that they could figure out the best pain medicine options for me and  monitor my vitals a bit more.  I warned them that my pulse is always really low, but they still wanted to monitor it because 42 seemed shockingly low.  By 8:00am  Dr. Colette stopped up to give us our discharge instructions  She removed all of the dressings for good.  The nurses helped us practice emptying and stripping the JP drains.  They set me up with a surgical support bra and a camisole with pockets that can hold the drains easier.  We had so many great nurses over my stay.  I wish I could remember their names, but it's still a bit foggy.  At 10:30 we were on our way home. I got a bit emotional as we were packing up to leave.  I suddenly couldn't believe that I actually did this. All that planning and it was done so fast.  Did I really know what to do for myself at home? I think the emotions all came out because I was tired and didn't take any morning naps.

I immediately went to bed for a rest while Mitch ran to pick up prescriptions.  I was obviously really sleepy because I even turned down the Pizza Hut breadsticks that he brought home to continue napping.  Mitch went to pick up the girls, so I was finally able to see them, hug them, kiss them.  Aila was such a great helper.  She pulled the ottoman next to the chair I was sitting in and just kissed me, rubbed my arm, and read some books to me.  Adrienne was a bit more difficult.  She was whining at the my feet asking to come up and cuddle.  I felt so bad that I couldn't pick her right up, but made sure I gave  her lots of kisses instead.

Mom came over and washed my hair in the sink for me.  Then we worked on figuring out the compression bras to try to figure out what would work best.  Prior to surgery, I had ordered about 5 different sizes and then was given another at the hospital today.  When I tried the hospital one on earlier in the day before we left, I freaked out because it was so painfully tight and felt like it was pinching the place with my drain tubes went in.  So I decided to try some of the others that I had picked up.  They all seemed so gigantic before but  wouldn't come close to closing now because of how swollen I am.  We finally made one of them work and I am now in my comfy fleece pjs ready for bed.  I just took my pain meds though and am feeling a little bit nauseated.  I hope this goes away fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment