Sunday, November 20, 2011

Here I Go

I've been toying with this idea for awhile now. . . sharing my experience through a blog. I've been keeping a journal for the last few years in one incredibly long word file. I type away once or twice a week. Most of the thoughts are about Mitch and the girls and what their latest silly things they said or did this week. Other times there are thoughts about work. However, there is also a huge portion of my life that has been devoted to my health.

Since finding out my BRCA status, I have experienced a roller coaster of emotions and I have finally come to a point where I feel comfortable sharing my experience with others. So from here out, I am going to be posting my journey from surveillance through preventative surgeries and beyond to this blog.

I am going to let you know from the start that there might be some gruesome details along the way. I have been reading books, message boards, and following a number of other BRCA blogs to learn as much as I can about these surgeries before hand. Unlike some BRCA blogs out there, I will promise right now that I will not be posting pictures of my breasts! No matter how good they look post surgery, I'm keeping them to myself. Can you imagine what would happen if a student came across pictures of their teacher's breast online? I don't want to find out.

I'm simply hoping that it can help keep my friends and family updated as I move forward with preventative surgeries. I also hope that it might help others considering going down this path as well.

For the next few days, I'll be posting a few excerpts from my journal to give a little history. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment