Friday, November 25, 2011

Could I have a BRCA mutation too?

What are some signs that we might have hereditary cancer in our family? How do I get my testing for free?  

Experts believe that about 10% of most cancer types are due to these inherited gene changes. Signs of an hereditary breast-ovarian cancer syndrome in a family include, but are not limited to any family member with:
  • Ovarian or fallopian tube cancer at any age
  • Breast cancer at age 50 or younger
  • Breast cancer in both breasts at any age
  • Both breast and ovarian cancer
  • Male breast cancer
  • Ashkenazi Jewish heritage and breast cancer before age 60
More than one relative on the same side of the family with any of these cancers:
  • Breast cancer
  • Ovarian or fallopian tube cancer
  • Prostate cancer
  • Pancreatic cancer
  • Melanoma
If the cancer in your family may be hereditary, it is important to consult with a genetics expert.  They'll be able to better assess whether you would be a good candidate for genetic testing.

I really have no idea what made Creighton take on our family as part of their study.  I have a feeling it was because of the Jadin family's size. So I honestly do not know how others could get involved outside of our particular family.  If you are interested in contacting the researchers at Creighton and you are a member of the Jadin family, let me know and I can get you the exact details.  Here's a link to their site.

No comments:

Post a Comment