Thursday, April 12, 2012

Renee's Medical Leave 7 Weeks in Review

As my medical leave is coming to a close, I thought I'd put together a year in review sort of a post.  You may have noticed my posts have tapered off as I have less news and I know that once I'm back to work I'll be posting even less.  So here's a recap of what my medical leave has been like.

Even though I spent a lot of time recovering--resting, napping, relaxing, I also tried to accomplish things as well.  I tried to give myself one project each day whether it was cleaning something, sewing, or sorting though things. 

I sewed a pillow case and crib rail teething guards (not that she's still chewing on them, more to cover up the former chewing damage) all using left over fabrics that I already had in the basement.

I organized my recipe collection.  All those great ideas I've cut out or collected over the years are finally categorized and ready to use.

I made a lot of trips to Menards.  I would drop the kids off in the mornings between 7:00-8:00ish and I'd be ready to start my day, but most stores don't open that early.  Thankfully, Menards was right on the route and already open.  I finally got around to buying just a bunch of little things that we've been meaning to pick up for awhile like a new night light, shower curtain rod, or spackle. 

I read and watched the Help.  I loved the book!  The movie was great, but the book was still better.

I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.  I can't believe how long it took me to finish this one.  After finishing several books really quickly I figured I'd fly through this one, but the style that it's written in really was strange to me and I had to take it slow. I haven't gotten around to watching this movie yet, but we will soon. 

I read a couple other nonfiction books that were like the What to Expect When Expecting for mastectomy patients. 

I had a mediocre performance in this years NCAA pool.  I actually had the time to think about read up a little before my choices.  That's definitely not my usual style.  I'm pretty happy with my mediocre performance.  It's better than last place, which I've been in for several years in a row.

I lost a lot of Words with Friends games.  I'd like to think it was the pain meds taking my spelling ability down a notch, but I haven't been on those since like week 3. 

I sold a lot of items on our trading post, craigslist, and ebay.  I passed a lot of baby items onto new homes.  I had no idea there would be a market out there for my old bras, but people bid on them.  One of them went for $12. 

I became a regular at the library.  Unfortunately, my book to DVD check out ratio was way out of proportion.  It's kind of embarrassing.  I thought I'd do a lot more reading.  But movies were a mindless activity I could do every afternoon sometimes falling asleep during them.  You just can't do that while reading.  At least I don't like to...some students in my class do however. 

I watched all of the Twilight Saga movies.  I'm finally caught up with the rest of the world.  I held off as long as I could and didn't really understand the whole vampire phenomenon.  I considered reading them, but then I realized that I only had a few weeks left and the first movie was airing on FX one afternoon, so I figured perfect timing.  While I don't think that the plot was the most amazing thing ever (the scenes with werewolves talking made me think of Babe the pig or Air Bud), I was pleasantly surprised with it overall.  There were some nice romantic notions, like the way the vampire characters have this stance next to their loved ones, the valor of protecting Bella, and the idea of being able to fly off anywhere around the world at a moments notice without any concern for money.  To my surprise, watching Edward Cullen was an enjoyable way to spend four of my days off..   

I watched probably every romantic comedy that Ryan Reynolds has been in.  It seemed like every movie I watched had some sort of connecting or repeating actor from the previous one.  I started with Bridewars which had Kate Hudson, then she was also in Something Borrowed which had Ginnifer Goodwin who was also in Five, then Definitely Maybe with Ryan Reynolds and the Proposal which also had Sandra Bullock who was then in the Blindside.  Then there's Emma Stone, who seems to be like Elizabeth Banks quietly starring in every movie lately.  Of all these movies, my absolute favorite was Crazy, Stupid, Love.  It was hilarious and had shirtless Ryan Gosling.  Speaking of him, I watched every Nicolas Sparks novel that has been turned into a movie. 

I cleaned the house a lot.  I had to stay away from vacuuming for a good amount of time--you'd be surprised by how much chest muscle is used.  By five weeks I could vacuum again.  At seven weeks, I was shampooing the carpet.  I discovered some new products that made cleaning much easier.  I love my shark steamer.  It's small and met my weight restriction.  Steaming the dirt made me not have to put the muscle into scrubbing things away.  My sinks and shower have never been this clean.  I can't believe that I just now discovered Swiffer Dusters. I also discovered a new mop called the Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop that is similar to a Swiffer Wet Jet, but you can put your own cleaning formula and has a reusable mopping pad. I cleaned every closet, got rid of a ton of stuff, and reorganized the kids toys.  I cleaned our house well enough for it to be put on the market any day now.  If only Mitch would stop changing his mind daily on whether we should list it or not after we make our final few repairs. 

I scheduled a lot of appointments.  I had the ones that I already knew I'd need like breast surgeon, plastic surgeon, and physical therapist.  But I also thought I'd take advantage of the time and get other doctor and dentist appointments out of the way for the year for myself and the girls.  It's amazing the different vibe places have when you are there leisurely at 9:00 am rather than trying to cram an appointment in during the crazy time between 3:00 and 5:00. I convinced Mitch to get tested for allergies. He complains all the time about it and we clearly have our deductible met this year, so go get it done!  It turns out he's allergic to all grasses.  The doctor said it's amazing he hasn't had a reaction to beer over the years. 

This leaves me with one last day of time on my own tomorrow.  I made sure the house is completely clean and all the laundry and ironing is done so that I have no tasks to complete tomorrow.  I have a 10:30 doctor appointment and 2:30 PT.   Somewhere in between I'd like to get a pedicure and maybe meet Mitch out for lunch.  It's going to be a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment